The 2022 a Capella Competition
We are pleased to host the 9th Annual a Capella Sing-Off Competition this Spring! This year we will host 6 schools who face off for the title, and among them is returning champs, Agnes Irwin, who won at our last Sing-Off in 2020.
We are appreciative of your support for these young, hardworking & beautiful voices in our community! Their future is bright!
Our event includes 1st and 2nd place cash prizes with judging based on vocal skills, creativity, stage presence, dynamic and more!
As a long standing tradition since 2012, we are happy to be back and look forward to an afternoon of excellent competition!
Sunday, May 1, 2022 – 1:00PM
Haverford College (outside of Founders Hall)
370 W Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041, United States
Tickets are available for purchase below.
(Rain Date: Sunday, May 8, 2022)
Join us for an afternoon of entertainment as the below schools face off in this year’s Sing Off!
- Agnes Irwin
- Haverford School
- Merion Mercy
If you have a school interested in competing or if you would like more information about the event, please contact Christian Hoyt at email@example.com or 610-639-0608.
Tickets are available online!
You can purchase tickets in advance by clicking the link below. Please bring or show your confirmation email when you arrive at the event. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the door.
How is our competition judged?
- Vocal Skills, 25 Points
- Tuning: How well the group matches pitch.
- Are the harmonies & soloists in tune?
- Vocal quality – is the sound well supported?
- Stage Presence, 25 Points
- Ability to connect with the audience.
- Physical expressieness: movement, facial expressions.
- Unit look to costumes.
- Creativity/Expression, 15 Points
- How the lyrics are brought across.
- Choreography – is it appropriate?
- How well does it enhance the song?
- Dynamics, 15 Points
- Are changes in dynamics evident?
- Do they enhance the meaning of the song?
- Are they well executed?
- Appropriate blend of soloists and back-up singers.
- Synchronization, 10 Points
- Is everyone breathing together?
- Are they beginning, continuing & ending when planned?
- Director, 10 Points
- How effectively the director leads the group.
- Confidence & capability.
- Is preparation evident?
- Selection of pieces suited to ability of group.
100 Points Available
We are proud to host our 9th Annual Event this year!
The a Cappella “Sing-Off” was started eight years ago. Past President Christian Hoyt saw the virtue of involving talented singers from different area high schools in a competition that would acquaint them with community service, particularly with the service of Ardmore Rotary Club in the community. The competition brings the community together to be thoroughly entertained.
Over the years, the Sing-Off has grown from just a few schools to eight schools. In the early years, the first and second place finishers received cash prizes. More recently, however, a significant charitable component has been introduced. In addition to cash prizes for the winning teams, each team from every school wins the right to donate $500, funded by the Ardmore Rotary Foundation, to a local charity of the team’s choosing and to personally present that donation to the charity at one of our luncheon meetings.
The Sing-Off is one of Ardmore Rotary Club’s finest activities as it brings together and showcases talented youth while providing them the opportunity to discover, learn about, and support many of the charitable organizations which contribute so significantly to the welfare of our community.